The Miranda Lambert Rose

In recent weeks, I stumbled across a Miranda Lambert rose found in a ‘body bag’ at Walmart. Body bags are gardening-slang terms for a bareroot rose found in those small bags sold at chain stores like Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Sometimes you can get them for really great prices, but there’s a chance the rose isn’t healthy or is mislabeled. Regardless, I find they are difficult to resist especially when this particular rose was just $5! Thus far, she is doing well after I planted her in a large 20 gallon pot on my balcony. I recently moved to Myrtle Beach, SC and have a North facing balcony so my new plants only get 4-6 hours of early morning sunlight. It will be interesting to see how this rose performs with limited direct sunlight and under hot and humid conditions. Below are a few shots of her first bloom. I’m hopeful she will produce many more blooms…ML.partialsidemirandalambertroseupclosemirandalambertrose.side

11 thoughts on “The Miranda Lambert Rose

1. Marcia Montgomery says:

Love this beauitful rose hard to find but I have 3 now and looking for more and happy to help the animals thanks Miranda๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿพโค๏ธ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿพ

Liked by 1 person

2. Rob Utzig says:

I came across a “lambert” rose about the same time as you, and put it in my front yard. Last year it looked dead in may, and my wife pulled it and left it in a bucket – and it started growing behind the shed! After the bitter cold of the last winter – i was amazed to find it when doing spring planting a few weeks ago!!! I put it in the ground and it is already almost 4 feet tall – but no sign of buds!!

These bushes are amazingly resiliant, but when should i expect blooms? Most of the other roses i have already have signs of buds (usually they flower by now but this season seems late).

Please – share more info! I have a fairly green thumb, but i have never gotten a large bloom bush to take on my property! (The biggest issue is bad soil and great lakes weather!)

Liked by 1 person

• CarrieT says:

Hi Rob! Thanks for commenting. There could be a few different issues going on if your rose isn’t blooming. Is it in at least 6 hours of full sun / direct sun light? I have had a rose (‘Florentina’, a climbing rose) not bloom due to not enough sunlight (eventhough it was on the same balcony as my ‘Miranda Lambert’ rose, which was blooming just fine). If your ML is in enough sunlight then it probably is due to the poor soil you mentioned. You could dig her up and put her in a large (16-20 gallon) pot. Also, I fertilize my roses every few weeks in the growing season with ‘Alaska Fish Fertilizer’. It is a muddy looking liquid (that stinks)- you can get it at Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowe’s typically for around $7 here in the USA. You can also use it on other plants like tomatoes, peppers, etc. Just follow the directions. I would try those things and you will probably start seeing results. Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚ – Carrie

3. Lomo says:

Sometimes you can find them in Walmart, but you should be able to find them online. Try Heirloom Roses, Jackson & Perkins, or Chamblee’s Roses online. There are numerous rose nurseries online if those don’t have it. Happy rose shopping! ๐ŸŒนhow do i buy it

Liked by 1 person

4. Jack Gruwell says:

I bought 2 at wallmart last spring i have had 2 bloom season. I did not cover my lambert up or insolate… we had record breaking winter -40 degrees below zero. My dogs have peed on it several times and It still keeps blooming I cut the blooms off and bring in side. It has a nice fragrance. I am now going on line to sent 2 to a friend. I am from central Il. It is over 3 feet tall. I love the plant.

Liked by 1 person

5. dizzylizzy says:

I found one today at home depot in a 5 gallon container for 19.99 that was in full bloom in the hot arizona sun. It has so many petals that it looks somewhat like a david austin type rose. ( I am new to roses) In this intense heat it is the most amazing purple color. I am so excited to see how well it does after being planted since it is 110 out. Im going to let it acclimate to the yard and wait for a cooler day. I hope it lives because it is absolutely beautiful.

Liked by 1 person

6. CarrieT says:

That’s great! Mine eventually succumbed to heat and pests, but that is because I had to go out of town for several weeks to care for my ailing Dad and the person I asked to water the rose didn’t do so. Planting it in a large 20″ pot may help yours out if the Arizona soil isn’t great or too hot… Then, you could move the pot to some shade if the sun or heat is too extreme. Just be sure to water often if in a pot (when soil is dry about an inch or two below the surface). Happy Gardening!